Gearing issue

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

grtrat1

Apr 11, 2012
Heres the story....

I need more time through the gears....

13/38 I have to shift way too fast...
14/38 seems to be the happy medium...

Problem...

I broke my chain trashed the front sprocket.....
Had a spare chin and a new 13 front sprocket...
Bought the poly case saver....
No room for a 14 sprocket, Dont want to make room for the sprocket... Id rather have that protection over the sprocket...

From a sprocket chart....
Running 14/38 is 2.71
Running 13/35 is 2.69

Is there a disadvantage of running a smaller than stock rear sprocket to gain alittle more top end??? So I can be back at my happy medium...

By the way... My neighbors 06 450r kicker has the same 13/38 and he can go father between shifts than I can on my 13/38...Same size tires also...

Need some opinions....

bvet4dog

mmhmm bacon!
Apr 10, 2012
got 12/38 (went done one front) and i seem to like it. Although i think i might want better low/mid range than top end. You seem to be looking for more top end. By not file the case saver a little. I dont see how that would ruin the strength of the gaurd unless you're really cutting alot out.

I do want to change my gearing to something better too. I ride trails/sand pits not dunes. Kind of want to fix the problem with chain chewing up my chain guide. I dont think i have any other options lol.

grtrat1

Apr 11, 2012
Need to go bigger in the front... The smaller sprocket is letting the chain slide on the guide all the time...Thats what Im guessing...

bigcountrydude

Lifetime Member
Apr 10, 2012
good luck finding a 35 tooth rear. if you do its prolly gunna be a 2 piece sprocket and not cheap.

personaly, i'd shave the case saver so the 14 fits. with properly maintained chain and sprokets with the right chain slack there is a very slim chance the chain will ever come off under normal riding conditions anyway.

hoser

Apr 11, 2012
What brand case saver? You shouldn't have a problem fitting a 14 on the front. And even if it takes a bit of grinding to make it fit the integrity of the case saver shouldn't be compromised at all.

grtrat1

Apr 11, 2012
What brand case saver? You shouldn't have a problem fitting a 14 on the front. And even if it takes a bit of grinding to make it fit the integrity of the case saver shouldn't be compromised at all.
I got the Moose poly saver....It looks like there isnt much room between the chain and case saver...

ridingred

Apr 12, 2012
it depends on the year, but i know for sure a 04/05 moose poly case saver has clearance for a 14t since that's stock. the 06+ might require grinding.

El Mamito USMC

Zorros Racing Team..
Staff member
Apr 11, 2012
i run 14/37 and love it.. hate it with the 38, and to avoid chain braking get a DID chain and Tm chain guide .. or you can get the skid plate with the chain guide included in it..

450Riot

Apr 24, 2012
I've always run DID since the OEM wore out. TM Designworks makes a nice slide n' guide kit for sure. As far as gearing preferences I found a really nice setup with a complete stock engine with a Dasa in and out on a 14/39. Never rev out in 5th but 1st could be a little longer. Works nicely in 2nd to start though.