How long do you guys let it idle during break in?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ridingred

Apr 12, 2012
Anytime i do a new piston install, i generally only let me machine idle for a few minutes, then i go easy through every gear for the next few minutes, then i let it rip! I don't let it rip until it's fully warm, but i have been told and i agree that it should not sit and idle for 10 minutes on the first start up.

Your thoughts?

ridingred

Apr 12, 2012
then why post? not looking for BS or harsh insults or acussations, its a much discussed topic and i wanted to gather opinions, don't need your approval chronicsmoke, so please only post on the subject matter.

chronicsmoke

Banned!
Lifetime Member
Apr 27, 2012
don't need your approval chronicsmoke, so please only post on the subject matter.
No, you don't NEED it.. but you desperately want it. You want ALL of our approval, why else would you come into the lions den daily (where you are hated by everyone) and try and be our friends. Then go over to the ORG and act like a tough guy? You want out approval and you want us to like you. You can deny it all you want but it makes total sense to why you take all of the abuse you do.

Like a red headed child who gets beaten daily by his step father but still tries daily to impress him. Sad.

ridingred

Apr 12, 2012
great input thus far!

i simply advised against a 10 min. initial idle on a new piston and rings, CJM couldn't bear it on exriders so now he's doing the usual resorting to discredit me. At some point you'll have to actually see things both ways CJM, your word is not in stone homie.

CJM

Truck Yea
Jan 5, 2013
Right...just keep on at it.

The amount of abuse you take on a daily basis is utterly amazing. Your one stubborn bitch.

El Mamito USMC

Zorros Racing Team..
Staff member
Apr 11, 2012
Hey I guess ill play the nice guy.
You don't need to let it idle that much.

Just ride it slow for the first hour then rip it.

ridingred

Apr 12, 2012
thanks fellas, that's what i was getting at. i honestly don't think it's good practice to recommending letting a brand new piston idle for 10 minutes. It's not how I do, and it's not how i recommend it, glad others are on the same page. Mamito can you please edit out the garbage posts in this thread. Since you took the time to edit one of my posts in CJM's thread i think it's only fair you get his crap out of my thread as well. thank you.

Vasilios

Aug 14, 2013
New piston + idling = bad get it up to temp and ride it, don't beat it to death just ride it for an hour or so go back change oil and filter and tear it up. Seat the rings properly and it will last a long time. Or the other method drive it like you stole it. I prefer the first method. People will argue about both. Or why don't you just ask an engine builder he will give you a recommendation on what he or she would do.