Plans

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Alex Bartley

Dec 9, 2013
Well as many of you already know my 450 dropped a valve a couple weeks ago. I just put a new ported head on with a hc1 I bought used off a friend. We'll come to find out the cam was spun (retarded) causing the exhaust valves to hit the piston. Finally one snapped

So here is my plans:
-ported Baldwin head with +1 valves (it's to good of a deal to pass up)
-stock cylinder
-CP 12.5:1 Piston
-oem main crank bearings
-oem new crank
-oem gaskets
-943/921 Web Cam Or the stage 1 hotcam that destroyed everything (I got it degreed and welded)

Pics of the damage
1d37c0e5d54e3cfc60e7675cd9bf9f3a.jpg
85f0334dfbdd80bd3361bd144807f9d4.jpg
e827471d87ca3682fe85953cd771cf43.jpg
419e1a43e875de1a9c1c655471f08bc3.jpg

F-Red

Thrown Stones
May 1, 2012
That does suck! I know the feeling. I dropped a valve years ago. Your doing the right thing, lick the wounds and move forward. Good luck, keep us posted. :encouragement:

El Mamito USMC

Zorros Racing Team..
Staff member
Apr 11, 2012
Get a HC2 or HRC cam so i can be just drop in..

Get ferrea valves and KW valve springs.. migth as well do everything since the engine is out..

Keep us posted

bvet4dog

mmhmm bacon!
Apr 10, 2012
I see that you have a stock case saver. Do yourself a favor, get a poly case saver! The one i have on now is by Moose Racing. El Mamito USMC hit the nail on its head perfect. Might as well do it all up while it's apart already. If you have little extra money, i'd get 2 cams. HRC and hot cam stage 2. So you can try both out and pick which you like the best. Some like hrc and some prefer hot cam.

I'm subscribing to this thread. Because your plans sounds pretty much similar to my future plan (spring time i hope). The only difference would be the head. Maybe it will be from matt at dynomite or OCP. What do you have now for sprockets? I went down one tooth on the front sprocket. Figured you might have done the same.

Alex Bartley

Dec 9, 2013
I've got that also on the list Bvet but this is just for mainly the engine. But it might take me a year go get everything done. But if I can get that head ported by Baldwin, it has +1 valves in it with less then 5 hrs on it.

Alex Bartley

Dec 9, 2013
There is a guy on fb that designs and makes his own chain sliders and case savers. His name is glann innovations. That's the ones I will be buying. Also I'm going with the drop in web or staying with my stage 1. I don't have the money to be buying and testing different parts.

El Mamito USMC

Zorros Racing Team..
Staff member
Apr 11, 2012
There is a guy on fb that designs and makes his own chain sliders and case savers. His name is glann innovations. That's the ones I will be buying. Also I'm going with the drop in web or staying with my stage 1. I don't have the money to be buying and testing different parts.
ill say stay with the HC1. I heard web is really agressive on the valve train( again i dont have previous experience on this but other people that have they say the same)

im interested in a chain guide or slider.. post some pics... and links.. since i want a guide but i want to keep my PRM skid plate..

F-Red

Thrown Stones
May 1, 2012
I heard web is really agressive on the valve train( again i dont have previous experience on this but other people that have they say the same)
They build a couple that are drop and go. I was running a 493/729 when my valves dropped. John @ Racer's Edge says, they are very hard on the valve train.

943/921 web is a drop in cam. Similar to the stage 2
Save yourself some money and go with the stage 2. They are very close, to the same specs. Those Web's aren't cheap.

Alex Bartley

Dec 9, 2013
Here's the problem that caused everything. The two cut marks on the flange was lined up with the two marks on the cam. So that should tell you how off it was

aeb383f257e0f04325654518950b0807.jpg

Burke

Troll Slayer
Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2012
get it degree'd and welded and run them both... that way you know which one you like better. you can always sell whichever you don't want to run.